Monday, August 15, 2011

Bringing It in Bashaw


I have returned home from four days competing in All Breeds, National Young Cattleman, and Western Canadian Team Judging at the Bashaw Agricultural Society Grounds. We kicked off the four days with the "Perfect Pitch" Wednesday night where participants were given two minutes to deliver a pitch to a panel of judges which they had prepared ahead of time stating their business idea and what sets them apart from the rest. Thursday began with the show team judging preliminary rounds and showmanship. Travis Hunter and I were one of five teams that advanced to the final round on Friday, while I also won Reserve Champion Senior Showman. Special thanks have to go to the Dietrich's of Redrich Farms for letting me borrow Ty's heifer and equipment after my animals were unable to be at the show due to an accident hauling them on Wednesday night. Also big thanks to everyone for the well wishes following my parent's accident! Although we are down two trucks my parents and cattle are fine which is by far most important =) 



In the afternoon we competed in the Business 101 competition where we had an hour to come up with a business plan and budget. Following that competition, we recited our own slam poetry, and then spent an hour mentoring the "Cow Camp" youth. Friday began with hands on competitions which saw tractors, tire air pressure, carpentry, plant identification, animal drug administration, rope halter making, tattooing, and a timed lawn tractor and trailer obstacle course. Travis and I then competed in the show team judging finals along with teams of Chad Lorenz & Ryan Hunter, Tyler & Katelyn Dietrich, Luke Marshall & Nicole Jones, and Sawyer Daley & Terra Chalack. Rounding out the day was the "We Are What We Do Challenge" where we had to describe to a judge what a million people could do that would change the world. That evening the results of the Western Canadian Team Judging Finals were announced... and Travis and I were the senior winners! Congrats to Brandon Hertz and Cassidy Matthews for also being the champion junior team!



Saturday was dedicated to the All Breeds purebred and commercial cattle show as well as the UFA Supreme Quest which Travis and I helped to judge/ring. The day finished off with the announcement of the National Young Cattleman junior and senior of the Year. Congratulations to junior Kyle Dodgson and senior Dakota Wilson for being the 2011 winners!


It was a great four days spent with the best cattle kids around! I'm already looking forward to next year!


With the last two weeks of August upon us I have lots of plans to finish off the summer right. Getting to spend some time with my friend Kyra after being busy all summer, going camping with Colin, celebrating my Mom's birthday, clipping and picturing cattle, and much more will keep me very busy until school starts September 1st already! 


Have a fantastic rest of your summer everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment