Yes indeed, any man (or woman!!) who shows white cattle is certainly not lazy! Fortunately, I only have one roan cow and her white calf to contend with... unlike some Charolias breeders who have an entire herd of the ghostly white creatures! Now it's one thing to be a slightly dirty shade of white when they're out in the field doing their cowish duties of eating, reproducing, and making cow pies... but it's a whole different story when you're
showing a white animal! Man oh man the time you spend in the wash rack, scrubbing and scrubbing away at that never ending yellowish tinge, and those pesky stained knees! It is at those desperate times you want to hug the brilliant person that created purple shampoos! This whole "white cow" business is just a lead in to what I spent a good part of my day doing...
Wash, blow, clip, repeat, and repeat, and repeat, and once more... repeat! My great herd of show cattle got the royal treatment today courtesy of a garden hose, dish soap (and purple shampoo for the white cattle!), a blower, comb, and clippers! I am so vastly out numbered by my cattle that this process is not exactly a quick one... and I am lacking in the siblings department so help isn't quick at hand. One by one I managed to get them all clipped up and ready for our achievement day and 4-H on Parade next week - and the chute only came crashing down once today haha!
 |
| Sometimes it doesn't matter where you clip 'em, as long as they get done! Annabelle certainly wasn't too concerned about her haircut! |
Now, for all of you non-cattle showing people out there, you are probably wondering why on earth I am washing and clipping (yes like a hair cut!) my cattle. Well first of all the washing part is just so your animal is clean and free of dirt and debris so that you can clip them... then the real fun begins! Everyone has a different way they prefer to clip show cattle - but basically you are trying to minimize their faults and accentuate their good points. Some general areas you would clip would be the head, neck, brisket, part of the tail, as well as taking off some hair along the back and any high points on the legs. Essentially: any area you want to appear smaller, clip short... any area you want to appear larger, leave hairy.
All in all it was a fine day to be out in the sunshine, listening to some good tunes on the radio and working with my cattle!
I love the photos Tessa!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Keltey!!
ReplyDelete